Wednesday, December 4, 2013

What Kind of Hero is Katniss Everdeen?


The GospelCoalition blog has an interesting post on Katniss Everdeen, the heroine of The Hunger Games books. I read the series because there was so much debate about whether the theme of self-sacrifice outweighed the more negative themes. Here’s a brief quote:

Though she isn’t a substitutionary Christ figure, I think there’s another type to consider when looking at her story (especially in the first two installments): the suffering servant. Consider the Lord of the Rings trilogy as a parallel: The Hunger Games doesn’t give us an Aragorn, a warrior-king who rallies the forces of good. Instead, it gives us someone more complex and difficult, a girl who unwittingly becomes a symbol of national hope and rebellion, whose road is marked not by victory but by suffering. She’s not Aragorn; she’s Frodo. . . . .

A thought-provoking article.

Click on the titles to see my reviews of the books: Hunger Games, Catching Fire, Mockingjay

2 comments:

GretchenJoanna said...

My granddaughter just told me that she is reading Hunger Games, which made me pay attention to your post and link, which I sent to her mother - thanks so much!

Farm Girl said...

My kids really did love the books. I still keep trying to make up my mind to read them. I had no problem reading Harry Potter, but this series I am afraid gives me pause. I have read some good articles on it though. I will check this one out. I didn't know that Katniss last name was Everdean. Isn't that the name in Thomas Hardy's book Far from the Madding Crowd, Bathsheba Everdeen. That is funny.
I love your book reports.