Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Classics for the Time-Challenged

In his article, 20 Novels You Can Read in One Sitting, Mark Nichol argues that even people with very little time can become acquainted with several great classics. I have read quite a few of the books on the list and they took more than one sitting (I'm a pretty fast reader too), but that may be because I was reading slowly to savor the well-written prose. To tell the truth, reading Wuthering Heights was slow going because I didn't like the characters and I had to force myself to finish. Anyway, I appreciate Nichol's list. It encouraged me to try a few new titles.

4 comments:

GretchenJoanna said...

Huckleberry Finn?! Maybe if I sat all day....
Thanks, Hope. :-)

Heather said...

My brother actually posted a link to that article the other day. I was thinking how I haven't read a few of the title mentioned, as of yet. Hopefully, soon though!

Just stumbled on your blog! Enjoyed reading your bio, and posts. I'm not sure I can classify myself as a book snob anymore (but maybe I should...I'm currently having to read & review a modern Christian book...which has left much to be desired). I've been collecting old, worn books since I was a teenager. Harold Bell Wright, and Charles Dickens being a few of my favorites.

Heather said...

Oops, logged into the wrong account! ^ that was me.

the Ink Slinger said...

I'm glad Animal Farm and Fahrenheit 451 were included. They're both fairly short reads, but they're incredibly meaty.

Thanks for the link, Hope!