Friday, November 5, 2010

Tributes to Autumn


This is my favorite season of the year and I've tried rather unsuccessfully to capture it in photos. Two of my favorite bloggers have paid tribute to the season with beautiful words. And Emily Dickinson has written one of my favorite fall poems:

The morns are meeker than they were-
The nuts are getting brown-
The berry's cheek is plumper-
The Rose is out of town.

The Maple wears a gayer scarf-
The field a scarlet gown-
Lest I should be old fashioned
I'll put a trinket on.


Carol has a a lovely poem and pictures here.



Lanier's Books had this to say: It's one of my very favorite times, this mad second youth of the year, more beautiful in its maturity than even the careless loveliness of April and May. And definitely more poignant in all its brave show. Already the golden leaves of ginkgoes and hickories have made a yellow carpet upon the lawns of my town, and tonight's rain will assuredly rob the great silken-trunked crepe myrtle outside my window of its last clinging jewels. But what a lovely autumn it's been. And what a stirring of anticipation as we lean closer and closer toward the brightest and best days that the calendar affords!


1 comment:

Vintage Reading said...

I adore Emily Dickinson but I'm unfamiliar with that lovely poem. I need to buy a collected edition of her poems.