Friday, January 15, 2010

If You Can Talk, You Can Write by Joel Saltzman


I picked up If You Can Talk You Can Write as a resource for my College Writing Class after reading rave reviews at Amazon. Saltszman contends that anyone who can put two sentences together in conversation can do the same in writing and encourages his readers to get over any writer’s block they may be experiencing. “Unleashing the writer within you” is the book’s basic theme and since I have very little trouble scribbling out my thoughts, I didn’t find it particularly inspiring.

Usually I write off lightweight books such as this one, but, frankly, it was on target for a college freshman audience. Slightly quirky and profane, (and, at times, aggravatingly simple) these short chapters were just right for getting class discussions started. Saltzman’s mantra to shoot for “progress rather than perfection” was something I repeated often to my would-be writers.

If you’re looking for brilliance, try C.S. Lewis, but if you want pithy, uncomplicated instructions on how to start writing, this book may be for you.

3 comments:

B said...

This does sound like a great resource. My composition classes could use some good discussion topics.

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

This sounds like a great resource for the freshman composition classes I sometimes teach. Thanks!

Sociologist Tina said...

Just started reading it.

LOVE it!